Call for Papers: the 2013 Seminar of the ISA RC06 on Family Research
“Demographic and Institutional Change in Global Families” is an international conference co-sponsored by the Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan and the Research Committee on Family Research (RC06) of the International Sociological Association. The conference will take place from March 28th to 30th, 2013 at Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. On behalf of both sponsors, the local organizing committee cordially invites family sociologists, demographers and other interested social scientists to participate in this event.
There will be three plenary sessions on family change around the globe. We are pleased/honored to have Frank Furstenburg (University of Pennsylvania), Stephanie Coontz (Evergreen State College), and an eminent demographer (to be confirmed) to each deliver a keynote speech. Parallel sessions will allow up to 60 oral presentations, in addition to several concurrent poster sessions, for the conference.
The conference theme encompasses a wide range of potential research topics on the families from sociological, demographic, historical, psychological and educational perspectives. To list several possible session titles:
– Changing family structures and family relations
– Union formation and dissolution: fertility、divorce、widowhood
– Changing marriage patterns
– Family transitions and well-being for children and adults
– Aging families: grandparenthood, elderly care
– Family values: ideational shifts on family change
– Balancing work and family in the global age
– Family influences on educational and occupational attainment
– Intergenerational relations
– Kin interactions: family network, kin obligation and practice
– Emerging youth issues on the transition to adulthood
– Institutional impacts on the family and policy responses to family changes
The local organizing committee also welcomes other suggestions. Please write to
Chin-Chun Yi (email@example.com), Professor/Research Fellow, Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica, and member of the Executive Committee, International Sociological Association.
If you’re interested to participate, please observe the following timetable:
Deadline to submit an abstract: October 1st, 2012
Notification of the status of your submission: October 15th, 2012
Due date for the full paper: March 15th, 2013
(Please send your abstract to Mr. Robert Chang: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For international scholars:
If your abstract is accepted and your paper received in time, the local organizing committee will provide on-campus housing (subject to availability) for up to five days, meals during the conference, and a half-day tour of Taipei and its vicinity.
A post-conference tour to eastern or southern Taiwan from March 31st to April 2nd will be arranged (self-paid) if enough attendants register.
More specific information regarding the logistics will be posted on the conference website after October, 2012.
For now, the call is here.